[Rd] Wish list

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 17:50:59 CET 2007

On 1/8/07, Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:

> >    Duncan> On 1/1/2007 1:28 AM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> >    >> 7. documentation standards for packages - NEWS/ChangeLog
> >    >> (also should be accessible from CRAN page for package and
> >    >> should be included in built version of package) -
> >    >> package?mypackage
> >
> >    Duncan> Just to let you know: I uploaded a revision of rgl
> >    Duncan> just a minute ago, and moved the ChangeLog file to a
> >    Duncan> place where it will be included when installed, and
> >    Duncan> available from the ?rgl or package?rgl help topic.
> >
> > That's a good idea, but I think  "R CMD build" should try to do
> > this automatically,
> > and indeed try both 'NEWS' and 'ChangeLog'.
> >
> > With something like the following as basic idea,
> > ugly at the moment
> > (I'm using 'sh' syntax; assuming working directory is "just
> >  inside" the source package) :
> >
> >  if [ ! -f inst/ChangeLog ]
> >  then
> >   if [ -f ChangeLog ]
> >   then
> >      if [ ! -d inst ] ; then mkdir inst ; fi
> >      mv ChangeLog inst
> >
> >      <<< tar cfz .... etc build the   <pkg>_<version>tar.gz >>>
> >
> >      mv inst/ChangeLog .
> >   fi
> >  fi
> >
> > {{ yes, a proper solution would not use  'mv' and 'mv back' }}
> >
> > For pkg authors on a Unix alike OS, a very simple
> > solution would be to simply always have the real file in
> >   inst/ChangeLog
> > and have
> >   ln -s inst/ChangeLog .
> > such that niceities like "C-x 4 a" in Emacs for semi-automatic
> > ChangeLog updating still work.
> >
> > -----
> >
> > BTW, I wonder if extending the list to also include files such
> > as "TODO" or "README" wouldn't make sense too, but probably not:
> > People really interested in a package's development look at the
> > package *source*, not the installed package.
>
> I think it would be nice to extend this to THANKS so that contributors
> are recognized by the users of the package and not just the developers.

Also it would be nice if links to these files were on the CRAN description
page, e.g. to be clear I am referring to pages such as this:

http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/gsubfn.html

The NEWS and ChangeLog, in particular, contain information that
a user might want to read prior to downloading the package and
links to them would be particularly helpful there.