[Rd] wine and build difference between R.2.4.0 and R 2.4.1 windows binaries?

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 11 12:52:44 CET 2007

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 1/10/2007 2:29 PM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>> Does anybody (most probably the core team) know if there is
>> any difference in how the official 2.4.0 and 2.4.1 binaries are
>> built?
>>
>> Problem is, 2.4.0 loads with the wine (I tried a few recent
>> versions, and also used 2.3.x under wine from time to time),
>> but 2.4.1 won't.
>
> Yes, there were changes to the MinGW run-time library between those two
> releases.  See http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/.
>
> If you can be more specific about the problem, it's possible the Wine or
> MinGW people could fix it.

With 2.4.1, "wine Rgui.exe" launches the main Rgui window, then crashes
and dropped with debug traces without being able to get to the
Rconsole tab. Logically it is a wine "bug", since the same binary
runs under genuine windows, but it looks like it is due to change
from mingw, so I guess I should involve both parties.

BTW, I am also cross-compiling some R packages with the cross tools
provided by Prof Ripley. Presumably it means that I need to hack away
the bundled mingw stuff in the cross-tool and replaced them with the
newer mingw libraries as well? (the whole thing with wine is so that I
can cross-compile and test right away...)

Hin-Tak