[Rd] wine and build difference between R.2.4.0 and R 2.4.1 windows binaries?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Jan 11 13:13:20 CET 2007

On 1/11/2007 6:52 AM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 1/10/2007 2:29 PM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>>> Does anybody (most probably the core team) know if there is
>>> any difference in how the official 2.4.0 and 2.4.1 binaries are
>>> built?
>>>
>>> Problem is, 2.4.0 loads with the wine (I tried a few recent
>>> versions, and also used 2.3.x under wine from time to time),
>>> but 2.4.1 won't.
>> Yes, there were changes to the MinGW run-time library between those two
>> releases.  See http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/.
>>
>> If you can be more specific about the problem, it's possible the Wine or
>> MinGW people could fix it.
>
> With 2.4.1, "wine Rgui.exe" launches the main Rgui window, then crashes
> and dropped with debug traces without being able to get to the
> Rconsole tab. Logically it is a wine "bug", since the same binary
> runs under genuine windows, but it looks like it is due to change
> from mingw, so I guess I should involve both parties.

I'd suggest trying a build with debug information ("make distclean; make
DEBUG=T"), so that the debug trace has symbol names and line information
in it.  I could easily do such a build of R-patched or R-devel for you
if you want to try this.

> BTW, I am also cross-compiling some R packages with the cross tools
> provided by Prof Ripley. Presumably it means that I need to hack away
> the bundled mingw stuff in the cross-tool and replaced them with the
> newer mingw libraries as well? (the whole thing with wine is so that I
> can cross-compile and test right away...)

I've never used the cross-compiling tools, so I can't help you with this.

Duncan Murdoch