[Rd] In creating a Windows binary package (zip), how do I make the installation configurable

Oleg Sklyar osklyar at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jul 12 19:23:35 CEST 2007

A configure.win file if found in the root of the package is executed
during install before files from /inst are copied. What you can do is
not to put your dlls in /libs but elsewhere in /inst and write a simple
DOS script that will copy the required dll into /libs and rename it
correspondingly.

I have something similar for my package as I include a windows dll in
the source package because compiling my package requires a lot of
dependencies on Windows. So I have this dll in /inst/winlibs and the
configure.win file deletes the /src directory (thus preventing it from
compiling if inst/winlibs is not empty) and copies the dll to /libs

Have a look at the source of
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~osklyar/EBImage/src/EBImage_2.1.10.tar.gz

Best,
Oleg

rick.jones at sungard.com wrote:
> I would like to create a binary package for Windows which when
> installed will give the user an option of whether to install
> one version or another.
>
> Here is the problem, I have a package 'FAME' that can run
> in two different modes on Windows. An old mode that uses
> R to connect to a remote linux machine and a new way that
> uses a locally installed database.
>
> I would allow this decision to be made at run time, but
> the DLL in the later case depends upon the database's DLL
> being on the Windows machine. A runtime solution would
> require at least one extra level of dynamic loading.
>
> So I would like something like this to happen:
>  the zip file contains fame-local.dll and fame-remote.dll
>  when the user selects 'install packages from a zip file'
>  the user should be given the option of which DLL
>  should be renamed to 'fame.dll'.
>
> Is this possible??
>
> If so, how would I do it?
>
> If not, then are there an recommendations for a solution?
>   An alternative I can try is to have 2 separate packages,
>   'fame' and 'fame-remote'.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick Jones

Dr Oleg Sklyar * EBI/EMBL, Cambridge CB10 1SD, England * +44-1223-494466