[Rd] Suggestion to extend aggregate() to return multiple and/or named values

Mike Lawrence Mike.Lawrence at DAL.CA
Fri Jul 13 19:46:01 CEST 2007

bugfix already :P prior version fails when there is only one factor
in Ind. This version also might be faster as I avoid using aggregate
to create the dummy frame.

agg=function(z,Ind,FUN,...){
	FUN.out=by(z,Ind,FUN,...)
	num.cells=length(FUN.out)
	num.values=length(FUN.out[[1]])

	for(i in 1:length(Ind)){
		Ind[[i]]=unique(Ind[[i]])
	}
	temp=expand.grid(Ind)

	for(i in 1:num.values){
		temp$new=NA
		n=names(FUN.out[[1]])[i]
		names(temp)[length(temp)]=ifelse(!is.null(n),n,ifelse(i==1,'x',paste
		for(j in 1:num.cells){
			temp[j,length(temp)]=FUN.out[[j]][i]
		}
	}