[Rd] Suggestion to extend aggregate() to return multiple and/or named values

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 19:56:35 CEST 2007

Note that it does not work in this case:

> aggregate(CO2[4:5], CO2[1:2], mean)
   Plant        Type conc   uptake
1    Qn1      Quebec  435 33.22857
2    Qn2      Quebec  435 35.15714
3    Qn3      Quebec  435 37.61429
4    Qc1      Quebec  435 29.97143
5    Qc3      Quebec  435 32.58571
6    Qc2      Quebec  435 32.70000
7    Mn3 Mississippi  435 24.11429
8    Mn2 Mississippi  435 27.34286
9    Mn1 Mississippi  435 26.40000
10   Mc2 Mississippi  435 12.14286
11   Mc3 Mississippi  435 17.30000
12   Mc1 Mississippi  435 18.00000
> > agg(CO2[4:5], CO2[1:2], mean)
Error: syntax error, unexpected GT in ">"
> Error in `[[<-.data.frame`(`*tmp*`, i, value = c(1L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 6L, 5L,  :
Error: syntax error, unexpected IN, expecting '\n' or ';' in "Error in"
>         replacement has 7056 rows, data has 84
Error: syntax error, unexpected SYMBOL, expecting '\n' or ';' in "
   replacement has"