[Rd] Limitation of dirname() and basename()

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Mar 27 23:11:23 CEST 2007

On Mar 27, 2007, at 2:49 PM, cstrato wrote:

> Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>> cstrato wrote:
>>> 1. I did read the help file.
>>> 2. I have my own workaround, using e.g.
>>> file.info("/my/path/")[,"isdir"]
>>> 3. This was a suggestion.
>>> 4. If you agree with me that "/my/path/" is a path, then both
>>>    "dirname()" and "dirname" give an incorrect answer.
>>> 5. Maybe, you can give me a logical reason (besides a
>>>    historical reason) why this should be the way it is.
>>
>> Can you just read "man 3 dirname" and "man 1 dirname" on any unix
>> box?
>> Isn't "historical reason" - this is how dirname works for the last
>> 25(?) years, some people will be *very* upset if it behaves
>> differently now -
>> a good enough reason?
>>
>> HTL
> A 25 year old mistake is no reason for R to duplicate this mistake.

Please read the corresponding docs before posting such nonsense
(especially the Rationale section):
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/utilities/basename.html

Your proposed behavior is inconsistent, anyway. The purpose of
dirname is to return parent directory of the entity represented by
the pathname. "/my/path" and "/my/path/" are equivalent as they both
represent the directory "path" whose parent is "/my", therefore
returning "/my/path" in either case is inconsistent with the purpose
of this function. As of trailing slashes (independently of dirname),
sadly, some programs exploit the equivalence of both representations
by encoding meta-information in the representation, but this behavior
is quite confusing and error-prone. You're free to add such special
cases to your application, but there is no reason to add such
confusion to R.

Cheers,
Simon