[Rd] Limitation of dirname() and basename()

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Mar 27 23:42:52 CEST 2007

Hi,

Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Your proposed behavior is inconsistent, anyway. The purpose of
> dirname is to return parent directory of the entity represented by
> the pathname.

Mmmm, I don't think this is true:

  > dirname("aaa/..")
  [1] "aaa"

"aaa" is not the parent directory of "aaa/.."

Same here:

  > dirname("/usr/./.")
  [1] "/usr/."

> "/my/path" and "/my/path/" are equivalent as they both
> represent the directory "path" whose parent is "/my", therefore
> returning "/my/path" in either case is inconsistent with the purpose
> of this function. As of trailing slashes (independently of dirname),
> sadly, some programs exploit the equivalence of both representations
> by encoding meta-information in the representation, but this behavior
> is quite confusing and error-prone. You're free to add such special
> cases to your application, but there is no reason to add such
> confusion to R.

Note that Python's designers were not afraid to emancipate from Unix for
this particular case:

  >>> import os.path
  >>> os.path.dirname("aaa/..")
  'aaa'
  >>> os.path.dirname("aaa/../")
  'aaa/..'

Also note that, if the goal was to mimic Unix behaviour, then why not
fully go for it, even for edge-cases:

  ----
  > dirname("/")
  [1] "/"