[Rd] Limitation of dirname() and basename()

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Mar 28 00:31:49 CEST 2007

On Mar 27, 2007, at 5:42 PM, Herve Pages wrote:

> Simon Urbanek wrote:
>> Your proposed behavior is inconsistent, anyway. The purpose of
>> dirname is to return parent directory of the entity represented by
>> the pathname.
>
> Mmmm, I don't think this is true:
>
>> dirname("aaa/..")
>   [1] "aaa"
>
> "aaa" is not the parent directory of "aaa/.."
>
> Same here:
>
>> dirname("/usr/./.")
>   [1] "/usr/."

Yes, the problem is that most dirname implementations don't
canonicalize the path - they are working on the string representation
and don't use the underlying FS. I wasn't saying that dirname is
perfect, in fact I refrained from commenting on this earlier exactly
because of the behavior you describe, but the decision to remove
trailing slashes was a deliberate as can be seen from the specs.
Semantically correct behavior (taking the definition of the dirname
function literally) would be dirname "/usr/." = "/", basename "/
usr/." = "usr". However, I suspect that not many people would expect
this ;). As was proposed earlier, one could think of "true" dirname"
or perhaps better "parentdir" function, although admittedly I don't
see an issue here ...

Cheers,
Simon