[Rd] Bridging R to OpenOffice

Kevin B. Hendricks kevin.hendricks at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 28 19:42:21 CEST 2007

Hi,

I would like to potentially become involved with this project.  I am
still learning about R-project internals but I have been digging
around a lot in the internal R-code.  That said, I am initimately
familiar with OOo since I was involved as a volunteer for that
project previously.  I wrote some of the OOo bridge code that allows
Linux PPC, and Mac PPC to make UNO calls (translates the abi calling
conventions from C++ to uno and then from uno back to C++ on the fly)
and also wrote their first spellchecker which used the UNO
interface.  Similar uno bridges exist for Java and python.  I don't
think there is a bridge from uno to fortran and back but since the
bulk of internal R code is C and that R itself can be built as a
shared library, that should not really be an issue.

As I remember, I think someone has built an interface from Gnumeric
to R if I am not mistaken.  That project if it is still alive might
provide a nice model of how to interface from a spreadsheet to R
without lots of GUI front end stuff being needed.  As I remember, it
just allowed a number of advanced features from R to be used from
within GNumeric (just as if you added an analysis toolpack to Excel)

It would be nice for example to have a list of extended functions
that Calc can invoke that are actually run in R and returned to
Calc's cells.  I can think of many matrix functions such as finding
eigenvalues and eigenvectors that Calc can not easily do now but that
would extend Calc's usefulness as a linear model learning tool.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

As I am not a member of R-core, I would vote that the discussion
concerning this project stay on this list or failing that, that
interested people CC-me directly (khendricks at sympatico.ca).

Thanks,

Kevin