[Rd] relist, an inverse operator to unlist

Andrew Clausen clausen at econ.upenn.edu
Mon May 14 06:32:55 CEST 2007

Hi Gabor,

Thanks for the interesting suggestion.  I must confess I got lost -- is
it something like this?
 * unlist() could attach skeleton to every vector it returns.
 * relist() could then use the skeleton attached to the vector to reconstruct
the object.  The interface might be

	relist <- function(flesh, skeleton=attributes(flesh)$skeleton)

For example:

        par <- list(mean=c(0, 0), vcov(rbind(c(1, 1), c(1, 1))))
        vector.for.optim <- unlist(par)
        print(attributes(vector.optim)$skeleton)    # the skeleton is stored!
        converted.back.again <- relist(par)

Some concerns:
 * the metadata might get lost in some applications -- although it seems
to work fine with optim().  But, if we provide both interfaces (where
skeleton=flesh$skeleton is the default), then there should be no problem.
 * would there be any bad side-effects of changing the existing unlist
interface?  I suppose an option like "save.skeleton" could be added to unlist.
I expect there would be some objections to enabling this as default behaviour,
as it would significantly increase the storage requirements of the output.

Cheers,
Andrew