[Rd] A suggestion for an amendment to tapply

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Nov 7 02:43:46 CET 2007

These are important concerns.  It seems to me that adding an argument
as suggested by Bill will allow the user to side-step the problem
identified by Brian.

Bill, under what kinds of circumstances would you anticipate a
significant time penalty?  I would be happy to check those out with
some simulations.

If the timing seems acceptable, I can write a patch for tapply.R and
tapply.Rd if anyone in the core is willing to consider them.  Please
contact me on or off list if so.

Best wishes to all,

Andrew

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 07:23:56AM +0000, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Bill.Venables at csiro.au wrote:
>
> >Unfortunately I think it would break too much existing code.  tapply()
> >is an old function and many people have gotten used to the way it works
> >now.
>
> It is also not necessarily desirable: FUN(numeric(0)) might be an error.
> For example:
>
> >Z <- data.frame(x=rnorm(10), f=rep(c("a", "b"), each=5))[1:5, ]
> >tapply(Z$x, Z$f, sd)
>
> but sd(numeric(0)) is an error.  (Similar things involving var are 'in the
> wild' and so would be broken.)
>
> >This is not to suggest there could not be another argument added at the
> >end to indicate that you want the new behaviour, though.  e.g.
> >
> >tapply <- function (X, INDEX, FUN=NULL, ..., simplify=TRUE,
> >handle.empty.levels = FALSE)
> >
> >but this raises the question of what sort of time penalty the
> >modification might entail.  Probably not much for most situations, I
> >suppose.  (I know this argument name looks long, but you do need a
> >fairly specific argument name, or it will start to impinge on the ...
> >argument.)
> >
> >Just some thoughts.
> >
> >Bill Venables.
> >
> >Bill Venables
> >CSIRO Laboratories
> >PO Box 120, Cleveland, 4163
> >AUSTRALIA
> >Office Phone (email preferred): +61 7 3826 7251
> >Fax (if absolutely necessary):  +61 7 3826 7304
> >Mobile:                         +61 4 8819 4402
> >Home Phone:                     +61 7 3286 7700
> >mailto:Bill.Venables at csiro.au
> >http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/

Andrew Robinson
Department of Mathematics and Statistics            Tel: +61-3-8344-9763
University of Melbourne, VIC 3010 Australia         Fax: +61-3-8344-4599
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~andrewpr
http://blogs.mbs.edu/fishing-in-the-bay/