[Rd] A suggestion for an amendment to tapply

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Nov 7 08:15:17 CET 2007

Andrew Robinson wrote:
> These are important concerns.  It seems to me that adding an argument
> as suggested by Bill will allow the user to side-step the problem
> identified by Brian.
>
> Bill, under what kinds of circumstances would you anticipate a
> significant time penalty?  I would be happy to check those out with
> some simulations.
>
> If the timing seems acceptable, I can write a patch for tapply.R and
> tapply.Rd if anyone in the core is willing to consider them.  Please
> contact me on or off list if so.

There's another concern: tapply (et al.) has the ... args passed on to
FUN which means that you have to be really careful with argument names.

Could I just interject that we already have

 > airquality$Month <- factor(airquality$Month,levels=4:9) # April not there
 > unlist(lapply(
+    split(airquality$Ozone, airquality$Month, drop=F),sum, na.rm=T))
   4    5    6    7    8    9
   0  614  265 1537 1559  912

(splitting on multiple factors gets a  bit involved, though)