[Rd] Saving Graphics File as .ps or .pdf (PR#10403)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Nov 7 16:43:20 CET 2007

On Nov 7, 2007, at 5:21 AM, Jari Oksanen wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 10:51 +0100, Simone Giannerini wrote:
>> [snip] (this is from pd = Peter Dalgaard)
>>> Maybe, but given the way things have been working lately, it might
>>> be
>>> better to emphasize
>>>
>>> (a) check the mailinglists
>>> (b) try R-patched
>>> (c) if in doubt, ask, rather than report as bug
>>>
>>> (Ideally, people would try the prerelease versions and problems like
>>> this would be caught before the actual release, but it seems that
>>> they
>>> prefer treating x.y.0 as a beta release...)
>>>

>> I am sorry but I do not agree with point (b) for the very simple
>> fact that the average Windows user do not know how to compile the
>> source code and might not even want to learn how to do it. The
>> point is that since (if I am correct) the great majority of  R
>> users go Windows you would miss an important part of potential bug
>> reports by requiring point (b) whereas (a) and (c) would suffice
>> IMHO.
>> Maybe if there were Win binaries of the prerelease version
>> available some time before the release you would get much more
>> feedback but I am just guessing.
>
> First I must say that patched Windows binaries are available from
> CRAN with one extra click -- Linux and poor MacOS users must use
> 'svn co' to check out the patched version from the repository and
> compile from the sources. The attribute "poor" for MacOS users was
> there because this is a bigger step for Mac users than Linux users
> (who can easily get and install all tools they need and tend to have
> a different kind of mentality).

Ehm, you didn't even bother to look at the CRAN page, right?

Why am I bothering to build nightly builds of R-patched, and R-devel
nightly and even garnishing them with a full installer so they can be
installed just like the release version if people don't bother to read
just a single web page ...

[Insert the usual "please do your homework" part here that may be
considered "vitriolic" ... (vitriol is a very useful substance by the
way ...)]

Cheers,
Simon