[Rd] NEWS file (was faqs)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 16 11:20:36 CET 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2007, at 10:53 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>>> I vote for NEWS for reasons above plus because that's what I use in
>>> my  packages already ;).
>>> IMHO it should be installed automatically if present, i.e. it
>>> shouldn't be necessary to have it in inst/NEWS, just plain NEWS
>>> should  suffice.
>>
>> And you're volunteering to make that change?
>>

> Yup, in R-devel now (43464). However, there are other candidate files
> as well and we don't do anything with the NEWS file just yet ... any
> further ideas?

We've recommended inst/NEWS for some time (some people are late to this
party), and tens of packages have it. However, a further tens of packages
have a top-level NEWS, and I would assume that (at least some of) the
authors were deliberately not installing it and so will now need to rename
it.

I think the writeup needs to make clear what happens if you have both NEWS
and inst/NEWS (some packages do).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk