[Rd] NEWS file (was faqs)

friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Nov 16 11:43:54 CET 2007

  > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Simon Urbanek wrote:

  >>> And you're volunteering to make that change?
  >>>

  >> Yup, in R-devel now (43464). However, there are other candidate files
  >> as well and we don't do anything with the NEWS file just yet ... any
  >> further ideas?

  > We've recommended inst/NEWS for some time (some people are late to this
  > party), and tens of packages have it. However, a further tens of packages
  > have a top-level NEWS, and I would assume that (at least some of) the
  > authors were deliberately not installing it and so will now need to rename
  > it.

  > I think the writeup needs to make clear what happens if you have both NEWS
  > and inst/NEWS (some packages do).

As most having both are by me I also checked the rest: In all cases
on CRAN they are identical copies. I have a soft link in all my
packages from inst/NEWS to top level (such that it gets installed, but
it is also easily found in the sources).

If we install the top-level NEWS file I would remove the link (but as
Brian said, we've been there before).

Best,
Fritz