[Rd] Color coding

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 21 19:20:24 CET 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Gasper Cankar wrote:

> I'm probably not the first with this idea so I guess that there's a
> complex issue behind it but since I couldn't find an answer I just
> though to ask:
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to have color coded objects as output of ls()
> statement? Functions of one color and rest with other (at least). So
> when I issue an ls() I could visually discern different types of
> objects.
>
> I often find myself opening old files and spending time figuring which
> is which. I know this just means I'm not aoranized, but still...color
> coding would help.

You haven't mentioned your platform: you would have to be working in a
console which supported this, and e.g. the Windows GUI console does not.

Once you know the escape codes to change colour, it would be easy to write
a listing function which did this.  You would almost certainly have to
write some C code to find out what the codes are for the current terminal
(on a modern system via the terminfo database): the GNU ls (part of
coreutils) would provide you example code.

So, this is project for a package: are you volunteering?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk