[Rd] misbehaviour of some tk windows, R 2.6.0 on SUSE 10.1?

David Firth d.firth at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 13:48:11 CEST 2007

I don't know whether this is specific to (my installation
of) SUSE 10.1, or is more general.

With R 2.6.0, I am finding that some widgets made through
the tcltk package are having problems which become evident
through scrollbar activity.  An example is demo(tkfaq) --
see below.  To reproduce the problem, I do the following:
after the tk window appears, hold down the "scroll-down"
tab at the foot of the window for a few seconds, then
release.  If scrolling stops (as it should, if all is
working correctly), do the same thing again.  Repeating
this 2 or 3 times usually results in uncontrolled
(unstoppable) scrolling activity; and closing the window
when that happens delivers the errors that appear in the
transcript below.

My R 2.6.0 was built on my own system,

OS:  SUSE linux 10.1
tcl: 8.4.12-14
tk:  8.4.12-14
gcc: 4.1.0-25

Since I had not seen this behaviour with previous versions
of R, I did a check with R 2.5.1: a fresh build today of R
2.5.1 on the same system does not appear to have the same
problem.

Any ideas?  Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?

David

david at blackbox2:~> R --vanilla

R version 2.6.0 (2007-10-03)
Copyright (C) 2007 The R Foundation for Statistical
Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.6.0 (2007-10-03)
i686-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
methods   base

[1] rcompgen_0.1-15
> library(tcltk)
> demo(tkfaq)

	demo(tkfaq)
	---- ~~~~~

Type  <Return>	 to start :

> require(tcltk) || stop("tcltk support is absent")
[1] TRUE

> local({
+
+     tt <- tktoplevel()
+     tkwm.title(tt, "R FAQ")
+ #    Gave tiny font on some systems
+ #    txt <- tktext(tt, bg="white", font="courier")
+     txt <- tktext(tt, bg="white")
+     scr <- tkscrollbar(tt, repeatinterval=5,
+        .... [TRUNCATED]
 The source for this demo can be found in the file:
 /home/david/lib/R/library/tcltk/demo/tkfaq.R
> Error in structure(.External("dotTclObjv", objv, PACKAGE
= "tcltk"), class = "tclObj") :
  [tcl] invalid command name ".1.1".

Error in structure(.External("dotTclObjv", objv, PACKAGE
= "tcltk"), class = "tclObj") :
  [tcl] invalid command name ".1.2".