[Rd] misbehaviour of some tk windows, R 2.6.0 on SUSE 10.1?

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Oct 9 20:52:53 CEST 2007

David Firth wrote:
> I don't know whether this is specific to (my installation
> of) SUSE 10.1, or is more general.
>
> With R 2.6.0, I am finding that some widgets made through
> the tcltk package are having problems which become evident
> through scrollbar activity.  An example is demo(tkfaq) --
> see below.  To reproduce the problem, I do the following:
> after the tk window appears, hold down the "scroll-down"
> tab at the foot of the window for a few seconds, then
> release.  If scrolling stops (as it should, if all is
> working correctly), do the same thing again.  Repeating
> this 2 or 3 times usually results in uncontrolled
> (unstoppable) scrolling activity; and closing the window
> when that happens delivers the errors that appear in the
> transcript below.
>
> My R 2.6.0 was built on my own system,
>
> OS:  SUSE linux 10.1
> tcl: 8.4.12-14
> tk:  8.4.12-14
> gcc: 4.1.0-25
>
> Since I had not seen this behaviour with previous versions
> of R, I did a check with R 2.5.1: a fresh build today of R
> 2.5.1 on the same system does not appear to have the same
> problem.
>
> Any ideas?  Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?
>
> David

Looks a bit nasty. I see it on SUSE 10.2 as well. Increasing the
repeatinterval setting for the scrollbar helps, but even at a setting of
50, I still see the effect. It is usually stoppable with the middle
button over the trough.
The error message is what you'd expect from killing a window while
something is trying to talk to widgets inside of it. The details of the
popup dialog is a little more informative:

    while executing
"$w cget -repeatinterval"
    (procedure "tk::ScrollSelect" line 12)
    invoked from within
"tk::ScrollSelect .3.2 arrow2 again"
    ("after" script)

I think there's a clue in there. It has the hallmarks of a race
condition: As I understand it the autorepeat feature runs an "after"
script which effectively presses the arrow again 5 ms later, invoking
another "after" script, etc. A button release is supposed to kill the
after script, but it might not do so in time, in which case it may try
to kill something that already died, etc.

Can't offhand see that we did anything to the event loop that could
cause this, though.