[Rd] RSQLite indexing

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Oct 23 01:03:54 CEST 2007

Thomas Lumley wrote on 10/22/2007 04:54 PM:
> I am trying to use RSQLite for storing data and  I need to create indexes on
> two variables in the table. It appears from searching the web that the CREATE
> INDEX operation in SQLite is relatively slow for large files, and this has been
> my experience as well.
>
> The two index variables are crossed. One has about 350,000 levels [yes, it's
> genetic association data]. The other will have about 4000 levels eventually,
> but is up to about 100 now.   When the data were entered they were already ordered by this second index variable.
>
> Creating the index took about an hour on the 100-level, presorted variable and about 12 hours on the 350,000-level unsorted variable.  I'm looking for advice on how to reduce this. Specifically
> 1/ would it be faster if the variable with more levels was the presorted one?
> 2/ would it be faster or slower if the index were created before adding all the data?
> 3/ are there any options that can be set to speed up the indexing?
>
> The SQLite database will not be the primary archive for the data, so optimizations that are risky in the case of power loss or hardware failure are still acceptable.  Since Bioconductor seems to use SQLite a lot I'm hoping there is some simple solution.

Well then, while some may think it overkill to run a mysql database
server for 1 to a handfull of clients, the benefits of using typed
columns (rather than strings, which might have something to do with slow
indexing) plus all the other goodies could save you the extra day or two
speeding up SQLite indexing.

A project here at vanderbilt stores (mostly read-only) data in mysql 5.0
tables in myisam format. The tables have 3 to 5 million records each.
Index creation speed for a varchar(9) column with 1,559,100 levels takes
roughly 1.5 minutes, for example.

Jeff
--
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner