[Rd] Regression test failed when building on an "older" Linux cluster

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 24 09:37:00 CEST 2007

We don't offer the option of building R without documentation, so I
presume you do not have Perl installed.

Without the examples, there is no check of large swathes of code, so 'make
check' should not succeed (it would give a false sense of security to pass
most tests by omitting them).  I've altered it so it will always fail
without Perl.

I don't buy the disc space argument: you don't have to _install_ the
documentation on each node, and 'make check' runs on the build and not the
installed copy.  We don't offer the possibility of installing a cut-down
version, but surely someone with such a specialized need will be able to
script that?  And if disc space is tight, why have a copy on each node?
(We don't on our clusters, where space is not tight: it makes maintenance
of packages so much easier to have a single shared copy.)