[Rd] problems for ./configure on Ralpha: gcc related

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 21:28:14 CEST 2007

Stéphane Dray wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am trying to compile Ralpha on my computer (OS = Debian). SVN Revision is:
>
> Revision: 42843
> Last Changed Date: 2007-09-14
>
> ./configure returns :
<snipped>

> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
> compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.
<snipped>

> configure:4941: gcc  -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c  >&5
> /usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
<snipped>

The error message is as it says - crt1.o not found. It is located in
/usr/lib/ or /usr/lib64 usually, and is part of the glibc-devel package
on redhat or rpm based systems, and probably has a similiar name on
Debian (although they have a funny way of mincing and separating
packages into sub-packages unnecessarily, but I digress...).

My suggestion would be to apt-get any debian packages which says
glibc-*, particularly glibc-*-dev-* .

HTL