[Rd] build packages with vignettes in Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Apr 29 22:00:05 CEST 2008

On 29/04/2008 2:51 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> The use of the UNIX find command on Windows makes installation
> very troublesome and fragile.   I wonder if you could include a
> find2 or somesuch with the tools and change the scripts to use that
> getting rid of find or use just use the Windows find command in the
> scripts.  Or some other solution so that one does not have to have
> a non-Windows find on the PATH.

Find isn't unique:  there are lots of versions of make, and grep, and
tar that don't work, either.  We've adopted a simple solution, and it
works:  when you're using the R tools, put them first on the path.

We've thought about including the R tools with R, which would increase
the size of the distribution quite a bit. Then Rcmd.exe could do the
path modifications, and you wouldn't need to worry about doing it
yourself.  That might still happen for 2.8.0.

Duncan Murdoch