[Rd] Defining environments within functions

Giles Hooker gjh27 at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 28 03:50:58 CEST 2008

How can I define environments within a function so that they are visible
to calls to a sub-function?

I have defined an objective function,

	ProfileErr = function(params,...)

which I would like to optimize using standard routines (optim,
nlminb,....) but which contains auxiliary variables which need to be
updated along with params. No optimization routine in R that I have
found has facilities for this.

Specifically, within ProfileErr, I need to calculate

  	coefs(params,...)

This a function which requires a further optimization, and I can achieve
significant efficiency gains by starting  where the last optimization
ended, so I would like to keep track of it.

At the command line, I get around this by

	ProfileEnv = new.env()
	assign('coefs',coefs,3,ProfileEnv)

and within ProfileErr, I can call

	startcoefs = get('coefs',envir=ProfileEnv)
	* do the optimization to get newcoefs *
	assign('coefs',newcoefs,3,ProfileEnv)

Then calling

	optim(pars,ProfileErr,....)

works fine. However, when I try to wrap all of that in its own function

	profile.estimate = fn(pars,...){
		ProfileEnv = new.env()
		assign('coefs',coefs,3,ProfileEnv)

		res = optim(pars,ProfileErr,....)
	}

ProfileErr no longer sees ProfileEnv. I haven't been able to make much
sense out of the documentation on environments, but is there a way to
make this work? Otherwise I'm back to writing variables out to files.

Many thanks,

Giles

--
Giles Hooker
Assistant Professor:

Department of Biological Statistics and Computational Biology
Department of Statistical Science
1186 Comstock Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY, 14853