[Rd] parallel build for package? (equivalent of make -j8)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon Dec 1 12:01:55 CET 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>

>> Peter Dalgaard wrote:

>>> Platform?
>>>
>>> Does
>>>
>>> MAKE="make -j8" R CMD INSTALL ...
>>>
>>> not work?
>>
>> I cannot believe this works safely, at least when installing into the
>> same library, because of R's lock mechanism that locks a library if
>> *one* installation is running ...
>
> It does say 'package' (singular).

Good point, I thought we were talking about parallelizing many packages'
installations. One should read the original question more carefully
rather than starting from a response.....
My apologies for the nonsense - and you all know fortune("talking
nonsense") anyway:

Uwe Ligges: I just told nonsense, stepclass() does not make sense with
randomForest(), obviously ... (wonder why nobody shouted?).
Douglas Bates: Oh, we're just so used to you talking nonsense that we
don't bother to point it out any more :-)
    -- Uwe Ligges and Douglas Bates
       R-help (July 2005)

Best,
Uwe