[Rd] parallel build for package? (equivalent of make -j8)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 1 11:26:03 CET 2008

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>> Whit Armstrong wrote:
>>> I have a package that takes about 20 minutes to compile which tends to
>>> prolong the compile/test/compile cycle.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to get R CMD check or R CMD INSTALL to use parallel
>>> make?
>>>
>>> I looked at R CMD INSTALL --help, but I don't see anything obvious
>>> arguments to do this.
>>
>> Platform?
>>
>> Does
>>
>> MAKE="make -j8" R CMD INSTALL ...
>>
>> not work?
>
> I cannot believe this works safely, at least when installing into the same
> library, because of R's lock mechanism that locks a library if *one*
> installation is running ...

It does say 'package' (singular).  It you know what you are doing you can
switch off the locking (and you also need to worry about installing
dependencies in the right order, at least for source installs).

I don't see the issue though: if you run R CMD INSTALL on a package
directory (rather than a tarball), 'make' will only re-make the compiled
code whose sources have changed.  Or is 'compile' being used loosely for
'install' (and even so it is rare for the bits that are always done, e.g.
dumping R code, to take long).