[Rd] Recent snapshot tarballs of R-devel don't compile

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Fri Dec 5 19:20:55 CET 2008

Hi Martin,

Martin Maechler wrote:
[...]
>     BDR> Maybe, in which case running tools/link-recommended
>     BDR> will fix it.  Works for me with the snapshot mentioned
>     BDR> above.
>
> Yes.
>
> But also we know that we don't want to require that from people
> working with the tarball.

Yes, and that's one of the reasons we use these tarballs for the
Bioconductor build system. They are a little bit more convenient
than pulling the source from svn.

> The question remains why the automated build procedures ... that
> I have setup and have been running for years,
> suddenly fail to put the *.tgz symbolic links into
> src/library/Recommended/ as they used to.

I don't know what OS this procedure is running on but maybe 'tar'
started to do some strange strings with symlinks after an OS
update/upgrade...

Thanks,
H.

--