[Rd] Recent snapshot tarballs of R-devel don't compile

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 5 21:12:33 CET 2008

    HP> Hi Martin, Martin Maechler wrote: [...]
    BDR> Maybe, in which case running tools/link-recommended
    BDR> will fix it.  Works for me with the snapshot mentioned
    BDR> above.
    >>
    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> But also we know that we don't want to require that from
    >> people working with the tarball.

    HP> Yes, and that's one of the reasons we use these tarballs
    HP> for the Bioconductor build system. They are a little bit
    HP> more convenient than pulling the source from svn.

yes.
I've finally found the cause.
Indeed it's been a change to R-devel, on Novemeber 17 I think,
 a "pdf -cleanup"
which breaks  'make vignettes'  which breaks 'distdir' ...
..

Huhh, finally! ....   so I assume we will have a fix in place
relatively soon.

Thank you, Herve, for you perseverance ;-)
Martin