[Rd] Warning: missing text for item ... in \describe?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 13:18:21 CET 2008

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Dr. Peter Ruckdeschel wrote:

> Hi Brian and Berwin,
>
> thanks for finding the reason for all this trouble.
>> 1) Having run tests on CRAN and BioC overnight, the results are
>> quite depressing.  There are 112 packages on CRAN and a score
>> on BioC with incorrectly rendered help pages because of spaces
>> after \item{foo}.
>> In two cases (fields and MANOR) the text skipped is invalid, so it
>> is not simply a case of ignoring the whitespace.

> As you already have found out the "depressing" number of 112, could you
> please alert the maintainers of these packages --- I would not be surprised
> if I were among them ...

Well, needing to do so on that scale is one of the depressing things.
However, I am waiting for the CRAN daily checking to catch up, as this
will appear as warnings in the logs there once they are using a current
R-devel (the last results are for Dec 4's R-devel).  The current list is
for CRAN

AIS AMORE BARD BCE BLCOP BSDA BaM Biodem BootCL ElemStatLearn FactoMineR
FitAR GLDEX GSA Geneland HH Hmisc MBESS MCPAN MSBVAR MiscPsycho
NestedCohort PASWR PHYLOGR PTAk R2HTML RArcInfo RBGL RFOC RGraphics RII
RSEIS RobAStBase Rsge SNPassoc SciViews TinnR VDCutil WaveCGH accuracy ada
ade4 agricolae ars assist bayesm bim bipartite bitops calib candisc
cghFLasso coda colorRamps compositions crq cwhmisc distrTEst dprep emu
equivalence fImport fOptions fields fossil gamlss gclus geiger geometry
gllm gnm impute its kin kknn klaR knnTree lgtdl limSolve locpol logilasso
logspline modeest muStat netmodels nplplot orthopolynom paleoTS pamr pbatR
pcalg phangorn playwith polspline psych rankreg rbugs relaimpo rgl rjacobi
rootSolve samr siar space spectralGP survrec tpr tseriesChaos varSelRF
varmixt

and for BioC-devel

ABarray GSEAlm GeneticsBase Harshlight KCsmart LPEadj MANOR MCRestimate
MassSpecWavelet MeasurementError Mfuzz OLIN PLPE RBGL RankProd SAGx SLGI
VanillaICE affyQCReport affylmGUI cghMCR copa ecolitk explorase flowCore
flowViz gcrma genArise impute limmaGUI lumi made4 pamr rama rflowcyt
rtracklayer simpleaffy snapCGH splicegear sscore

>> 2) On the original subject line, I found a different reason.  E.g. I
>> get the
>> message on distrMod, which has (sqrt-methods.Rd, also
>> solve-methods.Rd)
>>
>> \section{Methods}{\describe{
>> \item{sqrt}{\code{signature(x = "PosSemDefSymmMatrix")}: produces a
>> symmetric, p.s.d. matrix \eqn{y} such that  \eqn{x = y^2}}
>> }}
>
> You indicate that the problem could easily be solved by inserting
> punctuation.
>
> I would have no problems with this as a binding restriction, and
> probably the same
> goes for other maintainers.
> So could you perhaps add a corresponding recommendation
> to the "Writing R extensions" manual?

Yes, I am working on some recommendations for R-exts.  Hopefully more of
these problems can be detected and given as warnings now we are aware of
them.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk