[Rd] Surprising behaviour of levelplot in lattice package

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Feb 13 17:17:32 CET 2008

Hi Deepayan,

levelplot from the lattice package produces a peculiar output when
called on a matrix whose column or row names contained duplicated
elements. In particular, the plot contains white stripes, and the
arrangement of data regions and axes labels seems messed up. I did not
see this documented (my apologies if this is an oversight) and guess
that it is unintended:

library("lattice")
m = matrix(runif(12L), ncol=3L)
colnames(m) = c("A", "A", "B")
rownames(m) = c("x", "y", "y", "z")
print(levelplot(m))

Best wishes
 Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.7.0 Under development (unstable) (2008-02-13 r44450)
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=it_IT.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=it_IT.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=it_IT.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=it_IT.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=it_IT.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=it_IT.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] lattice_0.17-4 fortunes_1.3-4

[1] grid_2.7.0