[Rd] Perils of R_LIBRARY_PATH

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 18 17:21:26 CET 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just for interest, may I ask which platform are you referring to?
>> You are on a commercial unix platform such as solaris, right?
>
> amd64 Linux -- a bit of tracing shows that to be from a jpackage-d
> version of the Sun SDK.  So my guess is that the packaging picked up the
> libs (I didn't install that particular JDK).

Hmm, maybe you should file a bug to the jpackage people. My 1.4/1.5/1.6
came from http://java.sun.com/ - 1.5 and 1.6 are x86_64, 1.4 is i686,
and they don't have any gtk/cairo shared libraries.
The sun jdk's from sun don't play nice with the "alternative" system
though (whereas the jpackage does).

As a long term strategy , sun jdk 1.7 and gcj came with fedora 8.
gcj starts to work quite well, so it might be a good idea to support
that too.

<snipped>
> Solaris 10 has Gtk2 but not cairo (which is relevant as R will have a
> cairo-based version of X11).

Gtk(2?) is an "offical" optional add-on to Tru64. (mostly just because
mozilla needs it, I think...)

Hin-Tak