[Rd] Problem with dyn.load'ed code

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jan 1 19:33:55 CET 2008

Matt,

On Jan 1, 2008, at 12:08 PM, Matt Calder wrote:

> Andrew,
> 	Thanks! The version script worked like a charm. Specifically I now
> build using:
>
> g++ -shared -Wl,--version-script=ver.map to_dyn_load.cc -o
> to_dyn_load.so -larpack

just a word of warning - this is in no way portable. It is probably ok
for your private compilation, but it won't work in general. In any
case, I'd strongly recommend enabling this hack only if you know that
the target system supports it for the sake of portability. However, if
you are concerned about the latter, you should probably have a look at
libtool and --export-symbols - it allows you to control the visibility
on most systems that support it.
Note that there are systems that don't support it at all.

Cheers,
Simon

> where ver.map is the file:
>
> {
>     global: R_func_*;
>     local:*;
> };
>
> and any function I want exported to R is named R_func_*. This is going
> to be my new SOP.
> 	Thanks again Andrew, and also Simon. I greatly appreciate you taking
> your time to solve this problem for me.
>
> 	Matt
>

> On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 15:30 -0500, Andrew Piskorski wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 10:43:50PM -0500, Matt Calder wrote:
>>> Simon,
>>> 	Thanks for the reply. Indeed, declaring the function static fixes
>>> the
>>> example. Unfortunately, the real problem that gave rise to the