[Rd] checking whether the name space can be loaded with stated dependencies

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 4 23:00:51 CET 2008

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, hadley wickham wrote:

> On 1/4/08, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>> What it is trying is
>>
>> % env R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES=NULL R
>>
>>> loadNamespace("ggplot2")
>>
>> The test is not new, so it would seem to be a change in ggplot2 since the
>> version on CRAN.  My guess is the your package is doing top-level
>> computations, which `Writing R Extensions' warns against:
>>
>>    The R code files should only create R objects and not call functions
>>    with side effects such as require and options.
>
> Thanks for the additional info. I've grepped for ^[^#\n ]+\(  (which I
> think should find any top-level function call) and didn't find
> anything. I certainly can't think of any top level computations that
> I'm doing apart from creating R functions and objects.  Is there
> anyway to get more details about what exactly I've done wrong?

As I said, that was a guess: if it is not the cause then I am in the dark.
If you can send me the version doing this I can try to dig further.

> Calling traceback after loadNamespace isn't helpful.
>
>> If you must deviate from that, you need to arrange for the environment you
>> need: when loading a name space the Depends: packages are not loaded.
>
> Is this a recent change to R?

No: that wording is ancient, and the test is not recent.

> The package appears to work fine after
> installation so I presume this check is protecting me from some more
> subtle danger.

The danger is that if some other package (or a user) does
ggplot2::some_function_in_ggplot2 that this will fail if the package is
not attached, similarly if a package name space imports from ggplot2.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk