[Rd] S3 vs S4 for a simple package

Tim Hesterberg timh at insightful.com
Mon Jan 7 22:36:08 CET 2008

Would you like existing functions such as mean, range, sum,
colSums, dim, apply, length, and many more to operate on the array of
numbers?  If so use an S3 class.

If you would like to effectively disable such functions, to prevent
them from working on the object unless you write a method that specifies
exactly how the function should operate on the class, then either
use an S4 class, or an S3 class where the array is one component of
a list.

An S3 class also allows for flexibility - you can add attributes,
or list components, without breaking things.

As for reassurance - I use S3 classes for almost everything, happily.
The one time I chose to use an S4 class I later regretted it.  This
was for objects containing multiple imputations, where I wanted to
prevent functions like mean() from working on the original data,
without filling in imputations.  The regret was because we later
realized that in some cases we wanted to add a "call" attribute or
component/slot so that update() would work.  If it had been an S3
object we could have done so, but as an S4 object we would have broken
existing objects of the class.

Tim Hesterberg
Disclaimer - this is my personal opinion, not my employer's.