[Rd] S3 vs S4 for a simple package

Oleg Sklyar osklyar at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jan 8 12:17:42 CET 2008

> Would you like existing functions such as mean, range, sum,
> colSums, dim, apply, length, and many more to operate on the array of
> numbers?  If so use an S3 class.

The above is misleading as 'setClass("NewArray", [additional structures
go in here], contains="array")' will give the NewArray all the
functionality of "array" with mean, range, sum, colSums, dim, apply,
length etc *and* [<- [[<- supported out of the box! You basically need
only to write [, [[ to ensure that returns are of the NewClass!

> If you would like to effectively disable such functions, to prevent
> them from working on the object unless you write a method that specifies
> exactly how the function should operate on the class, then either
> use an S4 class, or an S3 class where the array is one component of
> a list.

This is very slow when used with [, [[ operators on that element

> An S3 class also allows for flexibility - you can add attributes,
> or list components, without breaking things.

That's true, but then what is the purpose of a class but the rigid
structure?