[Rd] X11 device distortion (PR#10666)

Thomas Zumbrunn t.zumbrunn at unibas.ch
Thu Jan 31 17:18:33 CET 2008

On Thursday 31 January 2008, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> My first thought was that you must be using Xinerama or TwinView -
> and you did mention Xinerama in your r-help message but not
> in your bug report - this detail is important.

Yes, I forgot to mention this.

> That said, I don't know enough about X11 to say anything - well, maybe
> I do, but you'll have to show your xorg.conf , and possibly the result
> of xdpyinfo for anybody to help you. I think your Xinerama setup is broken.

Yes, and as Prof. Ripley correctly guessed that the DisplaySize setting was
wrong. SaX2, the X11 setup tool of openSUSE, adds up the width values of both
Xinerama devices, which results in a wrong DisplaySize width value. I filed a
bug at openSUSE and already got a reaction. It seems unclear whether it is
correct to add up the values.

> for the time being, you could probably run the X11 device through Xnest
> to get around this.

Thanks for the advice. Correcting the DisplaySize value helped, and it didn't
break the Xinerama setting.