[Rd] Autoconf / Windows package building problem for device package

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Jul 2 15:12:52 CEST 2008

On Jul 2, 2008, at 6:41 AM, Tadashi Kadowaki wrote:

> Simon,
>
> Now, pdf2 does not use "manually created config.h",

I was referring to R - there is no configure step in the Windows build
so config.h is created "manually" (or semi-automatically if you wish)
and then shipped with R in a special location.

> but create own config.h by itself.
> The package also does not refer internal headers installed with R.

There are no internal header files installed with R ;) [modulo OS X
and those are private] - you are simply copying them from R and
referring to those. This is very tedious and difficult to do right for
all platforms since you have to test them all (as you see ;)). However
you don't really need to do that.

>  However, the package needs internal headers, because original pdf
> device code needs them.

Your package contains way too many things that are not needed (and are
dangerous because they override R's own functions unnecessarily). It
would be much simpler if you just added the code that is necessary
(both R and C) and not just copy everything blindly. There is no real
need to use internal R headers from graphics devices. If I recall
correctly that is what Brian Ripley suggested before and it would save
you a lot of trouble.

Cheers,
Simon

> [...]
>> R-version-dependent) they rely on configured R sources which are
>> not present
>> on Windows. I don't have a Windows machine handy, but I dimly
>> remember that
>> you can find manually created config.h for Windows in fixed-h
>> directory
>> under gnuwin32. It's a hack (and I'm not sure if it helps), though,
>> so I'd
>> strongly suggest Tadashi to fix his package to use official API as
>> was
>> suggested a few times already.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon
>>

>> On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Tobias Verbeke wrote:
>>
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> Tadashi Kadowaki has developed a pdf device package
>>> that allows to add hyperlinks and popups
>>> to (currently) text, mtext and rect calls.
>>>
>>> The package passes R CMD check (minor warnings) and compiles
>>> on MacOS X and GNU/Linux, but we do not succeed in building
>>> the package for Windows.
>>>
>>> The current version of the package can be
>>> checked out as
>>>
>>> svn checkout svn://svn.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/pdf2/trunk
>>>
>>> Please find the 00install.out below.
>>>
>>> Could anyone tell why config.h is not found?
>>>
>>> My practical experience with the GNU build
>>> tools is very limited but I would have hoped
>>> config.h.in would be processed into config.h.
>>>
>>> Any pointer or hint will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance,
>>> Tobias
>>>
>>> P.S. 00install.out (using R 2.7.1 and a current Rtools28.exe):
>>>

>>> installing R.css in C:/DOCUME~1/tverbeke/WORKSP~2/pdf2/TRUNK~1.RCH
>>>

>>> ---------- Making package trunk ------------

>>> WARNING: this package has a configure script
>>>       It probably needs manual configuration
>>>
>>> adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
>>> installing NAMESPACE file and metadata
>>> making DLL ...
>>> gcc  -std=gnu99  -Ic:/R/R-2.7.0/include   -Iinclude -
>>> DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -O3
>>> -Wall  -c devPS.c -o devPS.o
>>> devPS.c:26:20: error: config.h: No such file or directory
>>> In file included from devPS.c:29:
>>> include/Defn.h:1022: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or
>>> '__attribute__' before 'Rf_onsigusr1'
>>> include/Defn.h:1023: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or
>>> '__attribute__' before 'Rf_onsigusr2'
>>> In file included from
>>> c:\rtools\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.2.1-sjlj/../../../../
>>> include/wchar.h:352,
>>>               from include/Defn.h:1126,
>>>               from devPS.c:29:
>>>
>>> c:\rtools\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.2.1-sjlj/../../../../
>>> include/stdint.h:66:
>>> error: conflicting types for 'intptr_t'
>>> include/Defn.h:204: error: previous declaration of 'intptr_t' was
>>> here
>>>
>>> c:\rtools\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.2.1-sjlj/../../../../
>>> include/stdint.h:75:
>>> error: conflicting types for 'uintptr_t'
>>> include/Defn.h:207: error: previous declaration of 'uintptr_t' was
>>> here
>>> devPS.c: In function 'pathcmp':
>>> devPS.c:449: error: 'FILESEP' undeclared (first use in this
>>> function)
>>> devPS.c:449: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
>>> once
>>> devPS.c:449: error: for each function it appears in.)
>>> devPS.c: In function 'LoadEncoding':
>>> devPS.c:515: error: 'FILESEP' undeclared (first use in this
>>> function)
>>> devPS.c: In function 'PostScriptLoadFontMetrics':
>>> devPS.c:560: error: 'FILESEP' undeclared (first use in this
>>> function)
>>> devPS.c: In function 'PostScriptMetricInfo':
>>> devPS.c:862: warning: implicit declaration of function 'Riconv_open'
>>> devPS.c:862: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
>>> without a cast
>>> devPS.c:872: warning: implicit declaration of function 'Riconv'
>>> devPS.c:874: warning: implicit declaration of function
>>> 'Riconv_close'
>>> devPS.c: In function 'mbcsToSbcs':
>>> devPS.c:4020: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
>>> without a
>>> cast
>>> devPS.c:4029: error: 'EILSEQ' undeclared (first use in this
>>> function)
>>> devPS.c: In function 'PDF_NewPage':
>>> devPS.c:6406: warning: unused variable 'i'
>>> devPS.c: In function 'PDF_StrSize':
>>> devPS.c:7129: warning: unused variable 'face'
>>> devPS.c:7128: warning: unused variable 'pd'
>>> devPS.c: In function 'PDFAnnotBox':
>>> devPS.c:7469: warning: passing argument 5 of 'Rf_GConvert' from
>>> incompatible pointer type
>>> devPS.c:7470: warning: passing argument 5 of 'Rf_GConvert' from
>>> incompatible pointer type
>>> make[3]: *** [devPS.o] Error 1
>>> make[2]: *** [srcDynlib] Error 2