[Rd] Autoconf / Windows package building problem for device package

Tadashi Kadowaki tadakado at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 02:50:11 CEST 2008

Simon,

>> Now, pdf2 does not use "manually created config.h",
>
> I was referring to R - there is no configure step in the Windows build so
> config.h is created "manually" (or semi-automatically if you wish) and then
> shipped with R in a special location.

I misunderstand what you meant. I found src/gnuwin32/fixed/h/config.h in
source distribution of R. Thank you for that. It would be useful for building
pdf2 package in Windows.

>> but create own config.h by itself.
>> The package also does not refer internal headers installed with R.
>
> There are no internal header files installed with R ;) [modulo OS X and
> those are private] - you are simply copying them from R and referring to
> those. This is very tedious and difficult to do right for all platforms
> since you have to test them all (as you see ;)). However you don't really
> need to do that.
>

>>  However, the package needs internal headers, because original pdf device
>> code needs them.
>
> Your package contains way too many things that are not needed (and are
> dangerous because they override R's own functions unnecessarily).

If you say the package is dangerous because of overriding R's own functions
unnecessarily, it is not correct. I carefully choose functions to be overridden.
Following functions are minimals for adding new features of pdf device.

 > library(pdf2)
 Attaching package: 'pdf2'
	The following object(s) are masked from package:graphics :
	 mtext,
	 rect,
	 text
	The following object(s) are masked from package:grDevices :
	 pdf,
	 pdf.options,
	 pdfFonts

> It would
> be much simpler if you just added the code that is necessary (both R and C)
> and not just copy everything blindly. There is no real need to use internal
> R headers from graphics devices. If I recall correctly that is what Brian
> Ripley suggested before and it would save you a lot of trouble.

For writing a proper package of R, you are completely correct.
However, I don't want to pay efforts for simplifying the code.
I think the pdf2 package is designed for proof of the concept of
adding pdf specific features, such as pop-up text and url link.
Therefore, I want to keep devPS.c of the pdf2 replaceable with that of R.
This is also better for following the edge of R development.

Regards,
Tadashi Kadowaki