[Rd] --enable-BLAS-shlib conflict with --with-lapack in configure?

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jul 3 14:08:11 CEST 2008

Bjørn-Helge Mevik wrote:
>> If you are concerned about performance you definitely do not want to use
>> shared R, not a shared BLAS.
>>

> I'm sorry, I don't quite follow you here.  Do you mean not create a shared R
> and not create a shared BLAS, or was there a "not" too many?

"Nor", I think. (One of a set of confusing typos. Others include "not"
instead of "now" or "note". Note that I would ever make such silly
mistakes.)

As for the subject matter, you _can_ actually create such at thing as an
optimized, shared BLAS/Lapack, and it is probably faster than an
unoptimized, shared one (well, at least you could create them when I
played with this some years ago). It's just that people think it is a
bit silly, so they are not doing it for you, and as I recall it, you
also need to tinker a bit more than usual with the build process of the
libraries.