[Rd] --enable-BLAS-shlib conflict with --with-lapack in configure?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jul 3 14:40:39 CEST 2008

On 3 July 2008 at 14:08, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
| As for the subject matter, you _can_ actually create such at thing as an
| optimized, shared BLAS/Lapack, and it is probably faster than an
| unoptimized, shared one (well, at least you could create them when I
| played with this some years ago). It's just that people think it is a
| bit silly, so they are not doing it for you, and as I recall it, you

Debian has provided optimised Atlas libraries, compiled as shared libraries,
for over eight years. So not everybody sees this as 'silly'. We set up our R
builds to transparently use them.  That way you'd get tuned linear algebra as
a plug-in -- and the plugin is made possible because of the shared-library
build.

So not everybody agrees with BDR's resolute statement implying static-only
builds if one is concerned about performance.  Performance is almost always
relative, and often relative to several possibly conflicting baselines.

Dirk