[Rd] symbolic linking to library files

Fri Jul 18 08:19:39 CEST 2008

I agree with the other poster's advice to just give guru permission to
write to the R library folder.

But the thing you want is the following. Create a directory somewhere
that guru has write permission, for example
~guru/library
(although I guess I would recommend somewhere else than guru's home
directory) and do an R CMD INSTALL into that directory, for example by
   R CMD INSTALL Blaster -l ~guru/library

You can make this directory accessible for all your users by altering
site.profile to contain for example
   .libPaths("~guru/library")
or by creating an environment variable for all users (how you do that
can probably be accomplished in many ways), like
   export R_LIBS=/home/guru/library

That should be enough to get you started.

Kasper