[Rd] Windows: adding R/bin folder to the PATH variable

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 18 10:18:17 CEST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Gorjanc Gregor wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Under Windows R is installed, but its bin folder is not added to the
> system PATH variable. I know that this is handled properly under *nix
> like systems and I wonder, why this is not the default also for the MS
> Windows? I guess that for most users a shortcut on the desktop or
> anywhere else is sufficient, but there are occasions when one expects to
> able to lunch R from anywhere - say the Command prompt.

This is the normal behaviour of Windows applications.  There are several
reasons, including length limits on the Windows PATH (which are
version-specific) and that shells are not normally used -- most Unix
shells hash the path contents so lookup is (almost) independent of the
number of applications on the path.

If you run a shell (e.g. the Command prompt) you can set the path for that
shell, and indeed I have my system setup to use a different path in shells
than used from the desktop).

Finally, those Windows installers that do add to the PATH frequently fail
to uninstall correctly.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk