[Rd] multiple names to assign

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jul 20 09:22:10 CEST 2008

Warning does seem sensible (and there is already a test for length > 0),
so I've added one.

Generally R has followed the Unix philosophy of not chatting and trying to
make sense of the user's inputs (although it has multiple authors, and
some advocate more of what others see as nannying).  We do see enough
'what does this error message mean' about *warnings* on R-help to see the
downside.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008, Patrick Burns wrote:

> 'assign' does not give a warning if 'x' has length
> greater than 1 -- it just uses the first element:
>
> assign(c('a1', 'a2'), 1:2)
>
> One way of thinking about this is that people using 'assign' get what
> they deserve.

Or possibly intend, although as the help page incorrectly suggested that
a quoted character string was needed, they would have had to have read
the source code to know what should happen.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk