[Rd] R, Macports and C++ streams

Ernest Turro ernest.turro at ic.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 19:16:21 CEST 2008

On 30 Jul 2008, at 18:04, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2008, at 12:32 , Ernest Turro wrote:

>>> Using compilers from MacPorts and similar suites (Darwin ports,
>>> Fink etc.) is strongly discouraged (and outright not supported by
>>> the CRAN binary) since they have been known to be badly broken in
>>> the past and when whenever tested so far they were incomplete and
>>> incompatible. You have to re-compile R yourself with those tools
>>> (and you're entirely on your own) if you really want to use them.
>>> CRAN binaries work only with Apple's gcc branches, if you want to
>>> use anything else, you have to follow the unix R instructions and
>>> compile everything from sources.
>>
>> Dear Kjell,
>>
>> As you can see above, your R port on Macports appears to be broken
>> and has a reputation of having been broken for a while. I for one
>> have experienced odd problems as described above. To avoid further
>> issues with unsuspecting Macports users, perhaps it would be good
>> to pull the port from the repository until a decent level of
>> reliability can be provided ?
>>

> Although I do agree on your last point, I just want to clarify that
> I was talking about supported R for Mac setup (as provided in binary
> form on CRAN).

Having installed the R binary for Mac, I've noticed that it uses
Apple's default gcc 4.0.1. The problem with this is that there is no
OpenMP support in gcc until version 4.2, which is available as a
preview from apple on ADC. Changing gcc and g++ to gcc-4.2 and g++-4.2
in the default Makeconf isn't quite enough, as R also needs to look in
the appropriate header paths, etc...(e.g. to find omp.h). Could you
recommend an easy way of getting a binary R installation to work with
apple-supplied gcc 4.2 instead of 4.0 ?

Thanks,

Ernest