[Rd] R, Macports and C++ streams

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Jul 30 20:23:13 CEST 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 13:16 , Ernest Turro wrote:

> On 30 Jul 2008, at 18:04, Simon Urbanek wrote:

>>> Dear Kjell,
>>>
>>> As you can see above, your R port on Macports appears to be broken
>>> and has a reputation of having been broken for a while. I for one
>>> have experienced odd problems as described above. To avoid further
>>> issues with unsuspecting Macports users, perhaps it would be good
>>> to pull the port from the repository until a decent level of
>>> reliability can be provided ?
>>>

>> Although I do agree on your last point, I just want to clarify that
>> I was talking about supported R for Mac setup (as provided in
>> binary form on CRAN).
>
> Having installed the R binary for Mac, I've noticed that it uses
> Apple's default gcc 4.0.1.

That is not exactly true - it uses whatever your gcc version is. You
can use Apple's gcc 4.0 or 4.2, they both work.

> The problem with this is that there is no OpenMP support in gcc
> until version 4.2, which is available as a preview from apple on ADC.

FYI it's part of Xcode 3.1 ...

> Changing gcc and g++ to gcc-4.2 and g++-4.2 in the default Makeconf
> isn't quite enough, as R also needs to look in the appropriate
> header paths, etc...(e.g. to find omp.h). Could you recommend an
> easy way of getting a binary R installation to work with apple-
> supplied gcc 4.2 instead of 4.0 ?

I suspect you're confusing several separate issues here - the include
paths for OMP have nothing to do with R, they are part of the gcc and
as such added regardless of the include flags. Just try
gcc-4.2 omp.c -o omp -fopenmp
which specifies no include flags and works just fine.

The real issue here is that Apple doesn't provide gcc-4.2 support for
Tiger, so you cannot use 10.4 SDK unless you also install the
corresponding libraries. Hence you have two choices:
1) install gcc-4.2 libraries in 10.4u SDK
or
2) build for Leopard-only

As for 1) you can get just the SDK files for Tiger from
http://r.research.att.com/tools/
(you'll need to symlink darwin8 directory to darwin9)
As for 2) you can use the Leopard binaries from
http://r.research.att.com/

Cheers,
Simon