[Rd] R, Macports and C++ streams

Ernest Turro ernest.turro at ic.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 21:13:02 CEST 2008

On 30 Jul 2008, at 19:23, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2008, at 13:16 , Ernest Turro wrote:

>>> Although I do agree on your last point, I just want to clarify
>>> that I was talking about supported R for Mac setup (as provided in
>>> binary form on CRAN).
>>
>> Having installed the R binary for Mac, I've noticed that it uses
>> Apple's default gcc 4.0.1.
>
> That is not exactly true - it uses whatever your gcc version is. You
> can use Apple's gcc 4.0 or 4.2, they both work.
>

>> The problem with this is that there is no OpenMP support in gcc
>> until version 4.2, which is available as a preview from apple on ADC.
>
> FYI it's part of Xcode 3.1 ...
>

>> Changing gcc and g++ to gcc-4.2 and g++-4.2 in the default Makeconf
>> isn't quite enough, as R also needs to look in the appropriate
>> header paths, etc...(e.g. to find omp.h). Could you recommend an
>> easy way of getting a binary R installation to work with apple-
>> supplied gcc 4.2 instead of 4.0 ?
>>

> I suspect you're confusing several separate issues here - the
> include paths for OMP have nothing to do with R, they are part of
> the gcc and as such added regardless of the include flags. Just try
> gcc-4.2 omp.c -o omp -fopenmp
> which specifies no include flags and works just fine.
>
> The real issue here is that Apple doesn't provide gcc-4.2 support
> for Tiger, so you cannot use 10.4 SDK unless you also install the
> corresponding libraries. Hence you have two choices:
> 1) install gcc-4.2 libraries in 10.4u SDK
> or
> 2) build for Leopard-only

Thanks. I just realised that what was causing compilation to fail was
the inclusion of the "-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk" flag.

So now I have a package that compiles fine I think on most systems (I
use the AC_OPENMP macro to check for openmp support, which it will
generally not find on a Mac).

Leopard users wishing to use openmp must:

1) install apple-supplied gcc 4.2 (e.g. via Xcode 3.1)
2) replace gcc and g++ by gcc-4.2 and g++4.2 respectively in Makeconf
(or create appropriate symlinks)
3) remove all instances of "-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk"
in Makeconf

I have found this to work on my system. But is this the easiest
solution for Mac users wishing to use openmp in the package - or can
you think of a way of avoiding 3) ?

Thanks for your help,

Ernest