[Rd] Rmpi segfault after install on Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jun 13 03:17:09 CEST 2008

On 12 June 2008 at 18:38, Mark Kimpel wrote:
| Dirk,
|
| Configure concluded without errors. I am not running this on the HPC
| cluster with icc, rather a separate local box used for testing and
| learning. Its just an 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04 install on a 4-core machine.
| LAM is not installed (I checked to make sure).
|
| So, that leaves me with you last two options. Before I make my first
| foray into using the R-debugger, I'd like to try you suggestion to
| "Check ldd on Rmpi.so" but don't have a clue how to do so. Could you
| instruct me?

ldd is a command so try 'man ldd'; or just use what Oleg and Martin showed
you.

You still told us where you got R, Rmpi, and Open MPI from.  You could just
do

	$ sudo apt-get install r-cran-rmpi

and get Rmpi installed along with its dependencies (eg R and Open MPI).  That
just works on Debian.  It also worked, as I recall, on Ubuntu 'Gutsy' aka 7.10.

However, on Ubuntu 'Hardy' aka 8.04, this may be broken as I discovered
during some testing for the HPC presentation I'll be giving at Use R. I
filed an Ubuntu bug report at

     https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/binutils/+bug/234837

but no follow-up has happened.

That said, this still all works for me at

     a) at work which is x86 and all Ubuntu machines

     b) at home where it is x86 and a mix of Debian and Ubuntu machines

_but_ only after I rebuilt openmpi_1.2.5 on an older Gutsy machine as
detailed in the bugreport. Something on Hardy breaks it.

I am not an Ubuntu maintainer, so I am not sure who to talk to.  I'll forward
a copy of this to the Ubuntu folks.

As an aside, the Debian packages all work.

Dirk