[Rd] Press delete key three times in R-2.6.1 to get segmentation (PR#10898)

marc_schwartz at comcast.net marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Thu Mar 6 15:15:07 CET 2008

org.r-project at pooryorick.com wrote:
> Full_Name: Poor Yorick
> Version: R-2.6.1
> OS: 2.4.21-50.ELhugemem #1 SMP Tue May 8 17:10:31 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> Submission from: (NULL) (148.168.40.4)
>

> After compiling R-2.6.1 with gcc-4.2.1 pressing the 'delete' key three times in
> an interactive session causes R to malfunction, spitting out an infinite stream
> of errors.  I have also replicated the issue in R-2.5.1:

<snip>

You are specifically asked to not report bugs on obsolete versions of R
and to check for prior similar reports.

R 2.6.2 is the current version.

This has been reported previously (over 2 years ago on R version 2.2.1)
and was associated with a bug in readline, which is the underlying
functionality that handles getting input from the user in the console.

Since you are running a 2.4 series kernel, it suggests that you may also
be running an older Linux distribution.

Be sure that your system is updated, including the readline libraries,
the current version of which is 5.2.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz