[Rd] Configure errors say to report here... (PR#11470)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri May 16 15:45:43 CEST 2008

Adam,

this it not a bug in R, this is merely a user error. Please don't file
self-inflicted problems as bugs (see posting guide). For Mac-related
questions there is R-SIG-Mac. Brian's response was to the point - you
break the compilation with the custom flags you use. See details below.

On May 16, 2008, at 12:40 AM, adik at ilovebacon.org wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I'm attempting to compile R 2.7.0 on my G5, which is running OSX
> 10.5.2. Yes, I know there is a precompiled binary, but my experience
> has shown that if I hand-compile ATLAS on my machine and then link R
> against it when compiling, R runs faster, hence me compiling it
> myself.

FWIW that is not necessary in general, you can plug in any BLAS by
pointing the libRblas.dylib symlink at it (or an umbrella stub created
for it if it's incomplete).

> Anyway, I have this set of errors:
>
> checking X11/Intrinsic.h usability... no
> checking X11/Intrinsic.h presence... yes
> configure: WARNING: X11/Intrinsic.h: present but cannot be compiled

This is likely a mess up of your headers and libraries. It's not
causing the error, but still you're heading for trouble.

> configure: WARNING: X11/Intrinsic.h:     check for missing
> prerequisite headers?
> configure: WARNING: X11/Intrinsic.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> configure: WARNING: X11/Intrinsic.h:     section "Present But Cannot
> Be Compiled"
> configure: WARNING: X11/Intrinsic.h: proceeding with the
> preprocessor's result
> configure: WARNING: X11/Intrinsic.h: in the future, the compiler
> will take precedence
> configure: WARNING:     ## ----------------------------------- ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to r-bugs at R-project.org ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## ----------------------------------- ##
> checking X11/Xmu/Atoms.h usability... no
> checking X11/Xmu/Atoms.h presence... yes
> configure: WARNING: X11/Xmu/Atoms.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: X11/Xmu/Atoms.h:     check for missing
> prerequisite headers?
> configure: WARNING: X11/Xmu/Atoms.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> configure: WARNING: X11/Xmu/Atoms.h:     section "Present But Cannot
> Be Compiled"
> configure: WARNING: X11/Xmu/Atoms.h: proceeding with the
> preprocessor's result
> configure: WARNING: X11/Xmu/Atoms.h: in the future, the compiler
> will take precedence
> configure: WARNING:     ## ----------------------------------- ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to r-bugs at R-project.org ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## ----------------------------------- ##
> checking tk.h usability... no
> checking tk.h presence... yes
> configure: WARNING: tk.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: tk.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
> configure: WARNING: tk.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> configure: WARNING: tk.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
> configure: WARNING: tk.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
> configure: WARNING: tk.h: in the future, the compiler will take
> precedence
> configure: WARNING:     ## ----------------------------------- ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to r-bugs at R-project.org ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## ----------------------------------- ##
>
> ...the command line item I pass to configure is this:
>
> feta:R-2.7.0> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-x --without-R-
> framework --without-aqua --with-blas="/usr/local/lib/libptf77blas.a /
> usr/local/lib/libatlas.a" --with-lapack="/usr/local/lib/liblapack.a /
> usr/local/lib/libptf77blas.a /usr/local/lib/libatlas.a" CFLAGS="-
> maltivec -mabi=altivec -mtune=970 -faltivec -O3" CXXFLAGS="-maltivec
> -mabi=altivec -mtune=970 -faltivec -O3"

Depending on your compiler this may not work, because you're forcing
altivec constructs which introduces new keywords to the C language. R
doesn't use any altivec commands so it will break the compilation (as
you can see below). [This is based on my memory - I cannot reproduce
the problem on my G5, but then I'm using more recent tools and OS, so
your milleage may vary].

BTW: I have no idea what you're trying to achieve with those flags,
they are essentially no-ops, because R doesn't contain any altivec
code (and reals are "double" in R and thus AltiVec is of no use
anyway). If you want to optimize for speed, have a look at posts by
Jan de Leeuw and the old OptimizingR wiki page (also see -fast in gcc
and what it implies, although you need dynamic).

> ...the rest of configure completes fine, though when I try to build
> R, I
> make eventually ends up failing in this manner:
>
> gcc -std=gnu99 -I. -I../../src/include -I../../src/include -I/sw/
> include -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -fPIC  -maltivec -
> mabi=altivec -mtune=970 -faltivec -O3 -c cpoly.c -o cpoly.o

You're including /sw (Fink) - this is asking for trouble, because Fink
contains incompatible versions of system libraries and headers (likely
this causes the cpp problems above). Again, this is not the primary
reason for the failure, but I hope you won't ask for help with that
binary ;).

Cheers,
Simon

> cpoly.c: In function 'fxshft':
> cpoly.c:299: error: expected identifier or '(' before 'unsigned'
> cpoly.c:310: error: 'test' undeclared (first use in this function)
> cpoly.c:310: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> cpoly.c:310: error: for each function it appears in.)
> cpoly.c:315: error: expected expression before '__attribute__'
> cpoly.c:326: error: expected expression before '__attribute__'
> cpoly.c:327: error: expected expression before '__attribute__'
> cpoly.c:334: error: expected expression before '__attribute__'
> cpoly.c:370: error: expected expression before '__attribute__'
> cpoly.c: In function 'vrshft':
> cpoly.c:394: error: two or more data types in declaration specifiers
> cpoly.c:394: error: expected identifier or '(' before ',' token
> cpoly.c:399: error: 'b' undeclared (first use in this function)
> cpoly.c:439: error: expected expression before '__attribute__'
> cpoly.c:440: error: expected expression before '__attribute__'
> cpoly.c:459: error: expected expression before '__attribute__'
> cpoly.c:460: error: expected expression before '__attribute__'
> cpoly.c:461: error: expected expression before '__attribute__'
> cpoly.c:462: error: expected expression before '__attribute__'
> cpoly.c: At top level:
> cpoly.c:476: error: expected ';', ',' or ')' before 'unsigned'
> cpoly.c:498: error: two or more data types in declaration specifiers
> cpoly.c:498: error: conflicting types for 'nexth'
> cpoly.c:81: error: previous declaration of 'nexth' was here
> cpoly.c: In function 'nexth':
> cpoly.c:498: error: parameter name omitted
> cpoly.c:506: error: expected expression before '__attribute__'
> make[3]: *** [cpoly.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [R] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [R] Error 1
> make: *** [R] Error 1
>
> ...the one reference to a problem like this I could find via google
> searches
> is the post at
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/lang.r.mac/2006-10/msg00016.html
>
> regarding R 2.4.0, which I could not find a response to.

You found the right thread with the right hint, except you interpreted
it the wrong way - altivec was needed by the Apple's Carbon headers
(which are no longer used), but in R itself it caused the problem you
see in the post (and thus yours).