[Rd] Reading an "unsigned long long" using R readBin()

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri May 30 20:07:33 CEST 2008

On 5/30/2008 1:55 PM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> Well, R has no unsigned quantities, so ultimately you can't actually do
> this.  But using what="int" and an appropriate 'size' (likely to be 8)
> shold read the numbers, wrapping around very large ones to be negative.
> (The usual trick of storing integers in numeric will lose accuracy, but
> might be better than nothing.)

I think reading size 8 integers on 32 bit Windows returns signed 32 bit
integers, with values outside that range losing the high order bits, not
just accuracy.  At least that's what I see when I write the numbers 1:10
out as 4 byte integers, and read them as 8 byte integers:  I get 1 3 5 7 9.

Duncan Murdoch